A grey-boxed single-player, third-person platformer level based on an existing demo project from Unity.
The level has 3 main sections in a hub/network layout. Gameplay consists of platforming and combat while collecting items to open the locked, ending room.
The level was planned with paper diagrams and I built a metrics test scene for the player character’s movement.
I also modified a standard enemy, creating a boss encounter, and implemented a new mouse-controlled camera system.
Section 1: The Bridge
This is the central section of the level and it acts as the middle of the network-like layout. The other 2 sections can be seen and reached from this section.
- This is the starting area for the player.
- The player’s end goal (ship) is connected to this section and is visible when the map loads.
- A large, curving ramp leads up to the bridge.
- 3 of the 12 fuel cells needed to finish the level are in this section.
- The level’s first save-point is in the room where the player starts.
Section 2: Laser Hallway
This section is an open-concept hallway with 3 lasers that the player must navigate. It connects to both of the other 2 sections.
- Three lasers that move up-and-down that the player must navigate past (the player can go under or jump over them).
- The side of this section is open, allowing player to easily see in and out of the section.
- 1 of the 12 fuel cells needed to finish the level are in this section.
- The level’s second save-point is at the start of the laser section.
Section 3: Robot Stronghold
This section is a two-floored garrison with a focus on combat. It connects to both of the other 2 sections.
- 1 robot enemy (3 hit point), drops 1 fuel cell pick-up when killed.
- 1 health pick-up.
- A wall-jumping shaft that leads to the 2nd floor.
- Boss Robot (A custom enemy type): functions similarly to a Russian nesting doll; when the 1st robot dies (3hp), it spawns 2 medium-sized robots. When they die (2hp), they spawn 3 small robots. When they die (1hp), they each drop 1 fuel cell pick-up.
- 2 health pick-ups.
- Tall visual-node (2 arrow signs) that can be seen from the other 2 sections.
- Open-wall that the player can jump out of to return to the start of the Stronghold section or the Bridge section.
- 8 of the 12 fuel cells needed to finish the level are in this section.
- The level’s third save-point is at the start of the stronghold section.